Kemp Town Enclosures

Kemp Town Enclosures is a communal garden, owned collectively by the freeholders of the 100 houses that make up the Kemp Town Estate. Developed in the 1820's by Thomas Kemp, the Estate consists of Sussex Square, Lewes Crescent, Chichester Terrace and Arundel Terrace.

The gardens were landscaped in 1828 at about the time that the Kemp Town Estate was being constructed, and each freeholder paid a sum fixed by the Garden Management Committee towards their upkeep. A Board of Management for Kemp Town Enclosures is voted in and an AGM is held every year, usually in October, and the Freeholders are invited to be present.

Kemp Town gardens form 6 hectares of enclosed gardens in the Kemp Town Estate which is situated on the east side of Brighton, now directly adjacent on the west side of the Brighton Marina and the Undercliffe Walk. The site slopes steeply southwards from the northern end of the gardens to the sea front, the top of Sussex Square which forms the northern, highest part of the gardens, being nearly 40 metres above sea level and 400 metres from the mean high water level.

Kemp Town Enclosures Newsletter

We are delighted to announce that our new Newsletter is now available to download online. Please click on the link below for the latest newsletter and sign-up to receive future newsletters by email!


Jubilee Garden Project

The Diamond Jubilee Garden was opened earlier in 2012 in the Southern Enclosure and we are delighted with the results. The renovation project on the south west lawn of the gardens has reinstated a garden path that was part of the original Regency design of the garden.

Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland

The Kemp Town Enclosures are said to have inspired Lewis Carroll in his writing of Alice in Wonderland. A special key, dark hedges, a wrought iron fence, and of course, the brick tunnel descending from the cultivated gardens - all the ingredients for the perfect setting for the famed novel.

Southern Railings

March 2017

Thomas Kemp originally enclosed the gardens with iron railings at his own expense in 1823. The railings have been replaced, thanks to the generosity of residents and a house levy which raised the final £170,000 needed.