About Kemp Town Enclosures

Home / About us

History

The local historian Anthony Dale lived on the Estate and wrote a pocket-sized 'History' which has since been updated to the early 1990s. This can be purchased, price £3 from the office of Jonathan Rolls, agents for the company Kemp Town Enclosures Limited and a leading local managing agent.

What follows is just a short summary.

Thomas Kemp owned the land on which the Estate was built and started what was, for its time, an enormously ambitious plan to build houses that could accommodate all the servants and paraphernalia of wealthy families who came to Brighton for the fashionable summer season. The whole Garden, amounting to about six acres, was fenced and railed by Kemp in 1823. Arundel Terrace was built first and was a success, but Kemp lacked the funds to do more than build the facades of Lewes Crescent, Sussex Square and Chichester Terrace.

Buyers would build as they pleased behind the uniform facades (so every house is differently laid out). By the time Kemp was out of money (and fled to France to escape his creditors) there was a significant number of wealthy owners already in place, and they made plans for the Gardens, sharing equally the expense, as early as 1828.

The Gardens were laid out by Henry Phillips, who also put in place the tunnel under what is now Marine Parade. Two cottages were built, for the gardener and the Constable. The Gardens extended down to the beach. The Constable was allowed to admit non-residents if they were respectably dressed.

Throughout the nineteenth century the Gardens were well used, with summer picnics on the Slopes (south of Marine Parade), tennis courts and space for croquet in the South Garden, and the more formal North Garden resembling a London square. The enormous amount of grass soon required a primitive mowing machine, which was pulled by a donkey; the proprietors bought one each spring and sold it in the late autumn.

The 1914-18 war hugely damaged the endowments and spending power of the leisured classes, and houses began to be divided into flats. The maintenance was high and Brighton was no longer the fashionable place to come for the summer season. Nonetheless, reports of the interwar period tell of carefree picnics, lots of tennis and a largely unchanged social structure.

The real horror, so far as the Estate was concerned, was World War Two. Invasion was expected anywhere on the coast between Dover and Brighton. The Slopes and the southern half of the South Garden were requisitioned by the Army, the North Garden by the Fire Service and Arundel Terrace Garden by the Admiralty. The Garden railings were taken down for 'the war effort' but were never used. The redoubtable Mrs Dorothy Dale, Anthony Dale's mother, used her money and energy to organise a chestnut paling fence round the much diminished South Garden.

After the war the estate and Gardens were in sorry shape. It took a long time to arrange the cleaning-up of the wartime military installations and even longer to collect the damages from the authorities to enable the Gardens to be put back into use. The Estate was practically valueless - whole houses in Lewes Crescent could be bought for £2000 - and the incomes from investments of the former leisured classes were devastated by inflation. The whole Estate, valued in 1894 at £500,000, was probably worth less than £250,000 in the late 1940s. (Today the value of the Estate is between £150 and £200 million. These numbers are unadjusted for inflation but show the huge recovery in values over the past half-century).

Gradually the Gardens were cleaned up, and new railings (steel rather than cast iron, because of cost) were installed in the 1960s. The resident population diversified, with students renting rooms and almost all houses being converted into flats, but the burden of maintenance was heavy and houses remained generally undermaintained. As the UK economy grew in the 1980s and 1990s and Brighton became newly fashionable for young people and commuters, the standard of maintenance rose and the Estate and Gardens began, for the first time since the 1930s, to look worthy of the Grade One listing. Many families with children moved in. New railings for Arundel and Chichester Terraces, and some fine gateposts, were funded by residents with contributions from Brighton Council and English Heritage. The Gardens returned to their original status. The Estate was again wealthy enough to pay for really first-class Gardens by subscriptions from virtually all the freeholders.

The Gardens have used their new prosperity to catch up on maintenance and to plant bulbs and plants appropriate to the seaside location. A big windbreak planted in the 1980s in the south-west corner has greatly helped the Garden surmount the perennial problem of gale-force south-west winds. The shape of trees in the South Garden, all bent from the wind, testifies to the force of the gales. Other improvements include a section designed for small children, and new and repaired seats and tables. The Garden is now a big contributor to the value of the estate.

The Committee

Kemp Town Enclosures is a communal garden, owned collectively by the freeholders of the 100 houses that make up the Kemp Town Estate. Developed in the 1820's by Thomas Kemp, the Estate consists of Sussex Square, Lewes Crescent, Chichester Terrace and Arundel Terrace.

The gardens were landscaped in 1828 at about the time that the Kemp Town Estate was being constructed, and each freeholder paid a sum fixed to the Garden Management Committee towards their upkeep.

A Board of Management for Kemp Town Enclosures is voted in and an AGM is held every year, usually in October, and the Freeholders are invited to be present.


New Member of the Board

Andrew Doig

The Board has co-opted Andrew Doig to serve on the board. He has volunteered to act as liaison person between the Board and Jeremy’s gardening team.

Andrew has recently retired as Chair of Southdown Housing Association and Secretary of MindOut, the LGBT mental health project. Andrew has lived in Lewes Crescent since 1987. He has made contributions to the local history pages of the KTS website in the past few years. Many residents will know Andrew and his partner Max from visiting their garden in Arundel Place on charity open days.

Andrew has long pursued an interest in plants and garden design and is enjoying talking with Jeremy about the gardens and the challenges they pose.


The Board

The current Members of the Board of Directors are:

  • Mark Harper - Chairman
  • Ian Clegg - Treasurer
  • Jonathan Rolls - Secretary
  • Steve Harwood - Director
  • Russell Miller - Director
  • Jill Sewell - Director
  • Andrew Doig - Director